**Bumped up from TamWire. Posted by Alain41**
A fire alarm went off at a Minn. school, so all the students were evacuated. One 14 yr. old girl, who was in the pool, couldn’t get to her clothes in her locker so she went outside wet in her swimsuit. There is a school rule against letting students into teachers’ cars, so she shivered for 10 minutes in the cold though other students surrounded her and gave her a sweatshirt for her feet etc. She now has been diagnosed with frostbite in her feet. Zero tolerance school rules have so scared everyone that no one makes common sense decisions anymore.
Via National Review Online: Minnesota School Freezes Live Student
A St. Paul high school left a student standing outside for ten minutes last week, in sub-freezing Minnesota February temperatures, wet and wearing only a swimsuit.
Fourteen-year-old Kayona Hagen-Tietz reports that she now has frostbite. Her sacrifice enabled Como Park High School to conduct an unplanned fire drill without violating a school fraternization rule.
Wednesday morning, as Twin City temperatures ranged from a low of negative 8 degrees to a high of 12 degrees Fahrenheit, the Como Park High freshman, along with a classmate, were in the school’s pool when the fire alarm went off. The classmate’s clothes were poolside; but Hagen-Tietz’s clothes were in her locker and she was blocked from retrieving them by a teacher who rushed her out of the building.
Wearing nothing but a towel and her bathing suit, Hagen-Tietz stood outside with her fellow students as administrators determined what triggered the alarm….
In the meantime, teachers feared to violate openly a school policy that prohibits students from sitting in a faculty member’s car.
Hagen-Tietz fellow students, however, demonstrated a grasp of civilized behavior. Students huddled around her and some frigid classmates, giving her a sweatshirt to put around her feet. A teacher coughed up a jacket.
After Hagen-Tietz had suffered for ten minutes in sub-zero weather, a teacher finally received administrative permission to let her sit inside her car until students were allowed back inside.
Eva Tietz, the shivering student’s mother, told WCCO that a doctor discovered frostbite on Hagen-Tietz’s feet. The freshman will need to take pain medications….