It’s been eighteen years since the horror of 9/11.
According to Jewish tradition, each Hebrew letter corresponds to a number, and one can calculate the numerical value of a word by adding the letters together.
The Hebrew word for “life” is “chai,” and the numerical equivalent is 18.
So it seems fitting that on the eighteenth anniversary of that day, a new generation of firefighters is ‘blossoming.’
Via NY Post.
….On the eve of the 18th anniversary of the September 11, 2001 terror attacks, the current FDNY Academy class, set to graduate in two weeks, includes 13 members — 12 men and one woman — whose firefighter fathers were murdered on 9/11, The Post has learned….
“I think it’s a great tribute to their dads,” said Gerard Fitzgerald, president of the Uniformed Firefighters Association. “It’s quite inspirational to hear that they’re following in their fathers’ footsteps.”….
Heloiza Asaro is “very proud” that her son, Marc, 25, and daughter, Rebecca, 27, are joining siblings Matthew Asaro, 30, and Carl, 31, in the FDNY, she told The Post….
Carl Asaro, 39 at the time of his death, was a father of six who spent his 14-year career at Midtown’s Engine 54/Ladder 4 — which lost 15 men on 9/11.
James Foti, 22, son of Robert Joseph Foti of Ladder Co. 7, is thrilled that his older brother Robert, who just turned 27, is joining the FDNY….
Another set of siblings in the FDNY class, Anthony and Leonard Ragaglia, Jr., were 7 and 10 years old, respectively, when their dad, Leonard, 36, a member of Engine Co. 54 in Manhattan, perished….
Dennis J. Heedles Sr., 56, a 9/11 first responder who also worked in the recovery effort, died on Oct. 10, 2015, from complications of 9/11-linked lung cancer.
The veteran firefighter retired in 2002 from Ladder Co. 76 in Tottenville. His son, Thomas, is now an FDNY probie….
The other sons of fallen firefighters and an NYPD officer are:
- • Matthew Jovic, son of Lt. Anthony Jovic, of Engine Co. 279, Brooklyn
• Peter J. Carroll, son of Peter Carroll, FDNY Squad 1, Brooklyn
• Scott B. Larsen, son of Scott Andrew Larsen‚ Ladder 163, Queens
• Gregory Kumpel, son of Kenneth B. Kumpel, Ladder Co. 25, Manhattan
• Brendan Regan, son of Lt. Rober Regan, Engine 205/Ladder 118, Brooklyn
• John C. Fischer, son of Capt. John R. Fischer, Ladder 20, SoHo
• Manny Mojica, son of Manuel Mojica Jr.‚ Squad 18, Manhattan
• Michael Florio, son of John Joseph Florio, Engine 214, Brooklyn
• John R. Leahy, son of NYPD Officer James P. Leahy, 6th Precinct, Greenwich Village
• Robert Tilearcio Jr., son of Robert Tilearcio Sr., Engine 266, Far Rockaway, who died of brain cancer in 2017